Monday, September 8, 2008
In case you've been living in a hole the past two weeks, Sarah Palin's daughter is pregnant. She has chosen to keep the child and marry the father. Good for her. My problem comes from Sarah Palin's argument that her daughter shouldn't have to choose.

This will be brief, because I realize by posting this entry at all I'm stoking the fires of some serious hell to pay if people have the wrong reactions.

I believe that there is no greater decision than the decision to bring human life into the world.

If I become pregnant, I will choose responsibility over the life of which I have become a steward. My life will have become inextricably bound with another, and morally I would see no other option for myself.

If I live in a world where I do not have that choice - where my reproductive system essentially belongs to a higher authority which regulates my decision to conceive, then I feel as though that higher authority has deemed me irresponsible and incapable of making the decision myself.

Somehow, I know this is wrong. If I cannot choose to put a child into the world for whom I can be loving, responsible, and present, than parenthood becomes a task rather than a blessing.

Overturn Roe v. Wade, and we will not see a decline in extramartial sexual activity or in unwanted pregnancies. We probably won't even see a decline in abortions. Abortions will likely be in high demand, expensive, and performed in unsafe conditions. I agree with most politicians that we should end federal funding towards abortions as a moral imperative, but allow the states to decide their own systems of regulating the process.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, especially if they clash terribly with mine, and especially if you are incensed by my stance.
posted by Emily at 5:49 PM |

2 Comments:

At September 8, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Blogger Candace said........
i really don't know what i think about abortion.
i could see the argument that duh it should be illegal because it is murder. if you believe a fetus is a person already.
i could also see the argument that it would have a bad life and ruin another in the case of a lot of teen pregnancy. or that it is not a real person yet.
i feel like because i do not know what i would do in such a situation (though i am fairly certain i would put my child up for adoption) i have no cement beliefs on the issue.
it's actually something i've had inner turmoil over lately.
 


At September 9, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Abortion is tricky for me because I see both sides. One the one hand, that's taking away a life. One the other hand, if it is a dire situation and you cannot even go through pregnancy because of something wrong in your life then abortion seems okay. I should qualify that I don't believe in aborting after the first trimester; it seems more like a baby then rather than a fetus.

I think Jon Stewart put this best when he talked about this very same subject. He said that it was great that Palin's daughter was keeping the baby, but then that Palin was voting to rid of abortion--in other words, she allowed her daughter to make a decision, but is keeping anyone else from making that decision.

Actually, I read somewhere that because of sex education in most states, abortions have actually decreased.