OMG
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Assuming that God exists, there's no denying that God could totally exist without humans. Nature itself could exist without us - heck, it would probably be better off. So why does God need/want us around? The answer I often encounter is "to tend his Creation". I don't know about you, but even in first grade, if I took the class hamster home for the weekend (as was custom, so that the poor guy didn't starve to death in the empty classroom) and I brought it back hairless, blind, and suffering from PTSD and hamster dysentery, I would probably be stripped of hamster duty for the rest of my elementary school career. Just saying.

And I guess you could call God "it" if you wanted to. I refer to God as "He" because of the whole Jesus thing. If God had made "itself" incarnate through, I don't know, Cher, then I would call God "She". I don't think it matters a ton. I'm not offended as a woman.

I think that the Christian God is kind of indifferent about us, actually, now that Jesus has been here to show humanity how we're supposed to act toward nature and towards each other. I don't necessarily think HIV and other diseases are the result of sin, and they're not a punishment towards the infidels or anything. It's just nature. God also gave humans reason, so that we can work to find cures for diseases and stuff. Creation isn't all bad. There's a lot to be thankful for.

Don't get me wrong. Ask Emily about religion and she will change the subject to something more interesting (ex. "Look over there! What is that?!?") because truth be told, her first year at a Presbyterian-affiliated college has left her with more questions than answers. I think in a sense I believe in everything, which probably makes me either gullible or a paganist, neither of which would help me win a presidential election. Neither would this blog.

God Bless America!
posted by Emily at 7:11 PM |

2 Comments:

At May 31, 2008 at 10:34 PM, Blogger Candace said........
i totally agree with you about those things not being a punishment. people say these things about "things happening for a reason" but i don't think God would let a girl in Africa get raped and then get HIV to like... teach a lesson to somebody else or something. i don't know. basically i just agree with you. jesus was his interference.

doesn't it freak you out that some people just believe in things without ever questioning them. it freaks me out.

i'd vote for you. but i'm probably going to vote for a libertarian candidate, so don't expect many people agree with me.
 


At May 31, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
I feel the exact same way! It's like college and newfound knowledge has opened up a section of my brain that wants to question everything...especially religion.

You said it perfectly. More questions than answers.